The John Hancock Research Center for Physical Activity, Nutrition and Obesity Prevention prides itself in contributions to the field of nutrition. Below are academic articles and policy papers written by Faculty and Staff:
Peer Reviewed Articles
- McDermott MM, Ades P, Guralnick JM, Dyer A, Ferrucci L, Kiang L, Nelson M, Lloyd-Jones D, Van Horn L, Garside D, Kibbe M, Domanchuk K, Stein JH, LiaoY, Toa Huimin, Green D, Pearc WH, Schneider JR, McPherson D, Laing ST, McCarthy WJ, Shroff A, Criqui MH. Treadmill exercise and resistance training in patients with peripheral arterial isease with and without intermittent claudication: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of the American Medical Association, in press.
- Anderson SE, Economos CD, Must A. Sociodemographic and weight status characteristics in relation to physical activity and screen time in US Children ages 4-11 years. BMC Public Health, in press.
- Economos C, Folta SC, Goldberg J, Hudson D, Collins J, Baker J, Lawson E, Nelson ME. A community-based restaurant initiative to increase availability of healthy menu options in Somerville, Massachusetts: Shape Up Somerville Preventing Chronic Disease, in press.
- GoldbergJ , Kozower C, McClarney MJ, Collins JJ , Folta S; Kuder J, Clark, V,Economos CD. Retooling food service for early elementary school students in Somerville, Massachusetts:The Shape Up Somerville experience. Preventing Chronic Disease, in press.
- Folta SC, Lichtenstein AH, Seguin RA, Goldberg JP, Kuder, JF, Nelson ME. StrongWomen – Healthy Hearts: A community-based program toreduce cardiovascular disease risk factors in rural sedentary, overweight and obese mid-life and older women. American Journal of Public Health. In press.
- Economos C, Hildebrandt L, Goldberg J, Ioannone L, Hyatt R. College freshman stress and weight change: differences by gender. Am J Health Behav. 2008; 32:16-25.
- Marcotte L, Hennessy E, Dwyer J, Hyatt RR, Goldberg JP , Naumova EN ,Economos CD. Validity and reliability of a calcium checklist in early elementary school children. Public Health Nutrition. 2008; 11:57-64
- Seguin RA, Economos CD, Hyatt R, Palombo R, Reed PNT, Nelson ME. StrongWomen community strength training program: design and national dissemination. Preventing Chronic Disease. 2008; 5:A25.
- Economos CD, Sacheck J, Kwan Ho Chui K, Irizzary L, Guillemont J, Collins JJ, Hyatt RR. School-based behavioral assessment tools are reliable and validfor measurement of fruit and vegetable intake, physical activity and television viewing in young children. Journal of the American Dietetic Association 2008; 108:695-701.
- Folta SC, GoldbergJP, Lichtenstein AH, SeguinR, Reed PN, Nelson ME. Factors Related to Cardiovascular Disease Risk Reduction in Midlife and Older Women: A Qualitative Study. Preventing Chronic Disease, 2008:5(1).
- Sacheck, JM. Pediatric obesity: An inflammatory condition? Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition. 32(6):633-37, 2008
- Folta SC, Bourbeau J, Goldberg JP. Watching children watch food advertisements on TV. Preventive Medicine 46(2):177-178, 2008.
- Seguin RA, Economos CD, Hyatt R, Palombo R, Reed PNT, Nelson ME. Design and national dissemination of the StrongWomen Community Strength Training Program. Preventing Chronic Disease 2008;5(1).
- Economos, C., Folta, SC, Goldberg, J, Hudson, D, Collins, J,Baker, J, Lawson, E., Nelson, ME. Reshaping the Community: The Shape Up Somerville Restaurant Initiative. Preventing Chronic Disease, in press.
- Aviva Must, Gary Bennett, Christina Economos, Elizabeth Goodman, Joseph Schilling, Lisa Quintialiani, Sara Rosenbaum, Jeffery Vincent, Marice Ashe, Improving Coordination of Law-Based Efforts across Jurisdictions and Sectors for Obesity Prevention and Control Journal of Law, Medicine, and Ethics, in press.
- Ashe M, Bennett G, Economos C, Goodman E, Schilling J, Quintialiani L, Rosenbaum S, Vincent J, Must A. Government and Private Sector Collaboration to Prevent Obesity. Journal of Law, Medicine, and Ethics, in press.
- Haskell WL (chair), Nelson ME (vice chair), Dishman RK, Howley ET, Kohrt WM, Kraus WE, Lee I, McTiernan A, Pate RR, Powell KE, Regensteiner JG, Rimmer JH, Yancey AK. Physical Activity Guidelines Advisory Committee Report, 2008 (683 pages). Submitted to U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Michael Leavitt on June 18, 2008.
- C.D. Economos, J. Goldberg, J.M. Sacheck, S. Folta. Tipping the Scales in Favor of Our Children. Harvard Pilgrim Health Care research release on the state of childhood obesity in Maine, Massachusetts and New Hampshire. June 2008. On-line at: https://www.harvardpilgrim.org/portal/page?_pageid=213,256650&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL
- J.M. Sacheck and V. Clark. Childhood Overweight and Obesity in Massachusetts: What Can Be Done? Research Policy Brief for Massachusetts Health Policy Forum. June 2008. On-line at: http://masshealthpolicyforum.brandeis.edu/forums/forum-pages/Childhood%20Obesity.html
- Sanigorski A, Economos CD. Chapter 7: Whole of community approaches in preventing childhood obesity: evidence, practice and policy. Elizabeth Waters, Boyd Swinburn, Ricardo Uauy, and Jaap Seidell Eds., Wiley Blackwell, in press.
- Nelson ME, Haskell WL, Kennedy MA. The Birth of Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans. Journal of Physical Activity and Health. 2008, in press.
- Nelson, ME and Folta, SC. Further evidence for the benefits of walking. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. In press.
- Nelson ME and CD Economos. Editorial comment for: Blazek N. Active video games may be useful in preventing childhood overweight, obesity. Infectious Diseases in Children. 2008;21(10):46.
Peer Reviewed Articles
- Economos CE and Irish-Hauser S. Community Interventions: A Brief Overview and Their Application to the Obesity Epidemic. Journal of Law, Medicine and Ethics. 2007;35: 131-137.
- Hall M., Folta .S.C., Goldberg J.P. Fitness and nutrition messages in magazines for African Americans: A Comparative Content Analysis. Nutrition Today. 42(1): 37-40, 2007.
- Gao X, Nelson ME, Tucker K. Television viewing is associated with prevalence of metabolic syndrome in Hispanic elders. Diabetes Care. 2007 Mar; 30(3): 694-700.
- Economos C, Sacheck J, Hyatt R, Naumova E. Precision of lunar achilles+ bone quality measurements: time-dependency and multiple machine use in field studies. Br J Radiol. 2007; 80(959):919-25.
- Economos C, Hyatt R, Goldberg J, Must A, Naumova E, Collins J, Nelson M. A community-based environmental change intervention reduces BMI z-score in children: Shape Up Somerville first year results. Obesity. 2007; 15:1325-1326.
- Glanz K, Resnicouw K, Seymour J, Hoy K, Stewart H, Lyons M, Goldberg JP. How major restaurant chains plan their menus: the role of profit, demand and health. American Journal of Preventative Medicine 2007; 32:383-388.
- Nelson ME, Rejeski WJ, Blair SN, Duncan PW, Judge JO, King AC, Macera CA, Castaneda-Sceppa C. Physical activity and public health in older adults: recommendation from the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Heart Association. Published simultaneously in Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise and Circulation, 39(8):1435-1445, 2007.
- Economos CD, Sacheck J. Science-based policy statement on optimal nutrition for children playing soccer. Major League Soccer, 2007.
- Goldberg JP, and Folta SC. The Dietary Guidelines and the Food Guide Pyramid 2000-2005. In: Kennedy, E. and Deckelbaum, R. The Nation’s Nutrition. Washington, DC: ILSI Press, 2007.
Peer Reviewed Articles
- Folta SC, Bell R, Economos C, Landers, S and Goldberg JP. Psychosocial factors associated with young elementary school children's intention to consume legumes: a test of the Theory of Reasoned Action. American Journal of Health Promotion 21(1):13-15, 2006.
- Folta SP. Goldberg J, Economos C, Bell R, Meltzer R. Food Advertising Targeted at School-Age Children: A Content Analysis. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. July-Aug 2006; 38:244-24.
- Folta SC, Goldberg JP, Economos C, Bell R, Landers S, Hyatt R. Assessing the Use of School Public Address (PA) Systems to Deliver Nutrition Messages to Children: Shape Up Somerville – Audio Adventures. Journal of School Health. 2006 Nov;76(9):459-64; quiz 482-4.
- McKay D.L., Houser R.F., Blumberg J.B., Goldberg J.P. Nutrition information sources vary with education level in a population of older adults. Journal of the American Dietetic Association 106(7): 1108-1111, 2006.
- Brooks N, Layne JE, Gordon PL, Roubenoff R, Nelson ME, Castaneda-Sceppa C. Strength training improves muscle quality and insulin sensitivity in Hispanic older adults with type 2 diabetes. International Journal of Medical Sciences. 2006 Dec 18;4(1):19-27.
- The LIFE Study Investigators (which includes Nelson, ME). Effects of a physical activity intervention on measures of physical performance: results of the Lifestyle Interventions and Independence for Elders Pilot (LIFE-P) Study. Journal of Gerontology: Medical Sciences. 2006; Vol 61A, No. 11: 1157-1165.
- Must A, Hollander SA, Economos CD. Childhood obesity: a growing public health concern. Expert Review of Endocrinology and Metabolism 2006; 1:233-254.
- Goldberg JP. Nutrition and aging: the caradiovascular system. In: Chernoff R, ed Geriatric Nutrition. Gaithersburg, MD: Aspe Publishers 2006:273-294.
- Barlow E, Nelson ME. Staying Active. Chapter in: Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause. Touchstone, 2006.
- Seguin R, Nelson ME. Physical Activity and Older Adults: Impact on Physical Frailty and Disability. Chapter in: Measurement Issues in Aging and Physical Activity, Weimo Zhu and Wojtek Chodzko-Zajko, editors. Human Kinetics, 2006.
- Nelson ME with Lindner L. Strong Women, Strong Backs. Putnam Books, September 2006.
- Seguin RA, Nelson ME. Better Bones At Menopause: Supporting Your Skeleton. Chapter in: Menopause: Beyond Convention, edited by Mary Tagliaferri, Isaac Cohen, and Debu Tripathy. Penguin Putnam, 2006.
- Seguin RA, Nelson ME. Aging Well Through Sound Nutrition and Physical Activity. Chapter in Women’s Retirement Guide. The Heinz Family Foundation, 2006.
- Nelson ME, Alice H. Lichtenstein AH, with Lindner L. Strong Women, Strong Hearts. Putnam Books, 255 pages, May 2005.
Peer Reviewed Articles
- McKay D.L., Berkowitz J.M., Blumberg J.B., and Goldberg J.P. Communicating cardiovascular disease risk due to elevated homocysteine levels: Using the EPPM to develop print materials. Journal of Health Education and Behavior. 31(3):355-371, 2004.
- Krepcio, D., Foell, K., Folta, S.C., and Goldberg, J.P. Introduction to solid foods. Nursing Spectrum 8(6):12-14, 2004.
- Krepcio, D., Foell, K., Folta, S.C., and Goldberg, J.P. The vegetarian teen. Nursing Spectrum 17(2):18-20, 2004.
- Folta, S.C., Goldberg, J.P., Marcotte, L.P., and Economos, C.D. Using focus groups to develop a bone health curriculum for after school programs. Preventing Chronic Disease [serial online] 2004; July. URL: http://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issue/2004/jul/04_0001.htm.
- Wetter AC, Economos CD, Relationship between quantitative ultrasound, anthropometry and sports participation in college aged adults. Osteoporosis International. 2004; 15:799-806
- Silva AM, Shen W, Wang, Z, Aloia JF, Nelson ME, Heymsfield SB, Sardinha LB, Heshka S. Three-compartment model: critical evaluation based upon neutron activation analysis. American Journal of Physiology. Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2004 Nov; 287(5):E962-9.
- Nelson ME, Layne JE, Bernstein MJ, et al. The effects of multi-dimensional home-based exercise on functional performance in the elderly. The Journals of Gerontology. Series A, Biological sciences and medical sciences. 2004 Feb;59(2):154-60.
- Kohrt W, Bloomfield S, Little KD, Nelson ME, Yingling VR. American College of Sports Medicine Position Stand: physical activity and bone health (revision of 1995 position stand on osteoporosis and exercise). Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 2004 Nov;36(11):1985-96.
- Seguin RA, Buchner D, Epping J, Nelson, ME. Growing Stronger: Strength Training for Older Adults. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). 112 pages, 2004. Website: go.tufts.edu/growingstronger
- Nelson ME, Seguin RA. The StrongWomen Tool Kit: A Program Leader’s Guide To Conducting Strength Training Programs For Women. Tufts University, 189 pp, 2004.
- Nelson ME, Seguin RA. The Senior Section: Targeted Exercise for Promoting Bone Health in Women. Jerome L. Flegg, MD; Steven B. Zelicof, MD, PhD, 2 Section Editors. American Journal of Sports Medicine (2004) 6; 2:94-96.
- Goldberg, J.P., Belury, M.A., Elam, P., Finn, S.C., Hayes, D., Lyle, R., St. Jeor, S., Warren, M. and Hellwig, J.P. The obesity crisis: Don’t blame it on the Pyramid. Journal of the American Dietetic Association 104(7):1141-1147, 2004.
Peer Reviewed Articles
- Seguin R, Nelson ME. The benefits of strength training for older adults. American Journal of Preventative Medicine. 2003;25(3Sii):141-149.
- Miriam E. Nelson, PhD. The Strong Women’s Journal. Perigee Books, 300 pages, December 2003